Monday, December 6, 2010

Side Note

On a sidenote, my contact list in my cell phone is down to 19 and I recently trimmed my facebook friends list from the already anemic (according to my friends) 190+ to 91. Still, not a day goes by without someone showing up on the news feed that makes me question why I'm "friends" with that person and whether I will ever interact with them online again. Just because I give you the obligatory "bro nod" at the gym when I see you, doesn't mean we're friends or need to be facebook pals. Every so often I consider simply deleting the whole thing, and I know that I will eventually do just that, but with graduation likely not far off and some slim amount of meaningful communication still coming through FB every once in a while, I figure I can put it off until New Paltz is in my rearview mirror and 80% of the remaining friends I have are just college memories - the handful that won't be are among the 19 contacts in my phone anyways.


Edit: Since posting, I felt the need to go on another facebook friend trimming spree. Down to 65 TOTAL friends. 11 family members. 30 current or former teammates. 24 other, including my girlfriend, her siblings, close family friends, professors and any actual friends from college/high school. To be clear, I don't think there's something wrong with people who choose to have hundreds of FB friends, but I'd rather be stingy with my digital "friendship" and let my facebook be a more realistic indication of people who actually matter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment